Everything about our previous festivals you find HERE
Brazilian Contemporary Dance feat. Capoeira
State of consciousness, availability and impulse
This practice is researching contemporary Brazilian dance, using capoeira as means to explore the liberty and wisdom of the body. Based on the image, that the spine is an axis to explore the internal and external space, called bamboo – vibrating, oscillating, fluctuating, bending but never breaking. Stimulated by curiosity for the unknown we explore intuitive answers of the body through improvisation and interaction with others, creating a space of observation and action.
Through improvisation we will be deepening the state of consciousness, availability and the impulse that will allow us to improve, expand and transform the potential of the body while dancing.
The class covers the principle procedures/tools:
• Consciousness of the possibilities of the spine; Corporal reverberations of the spine as an axis
• Encountering points – space, time, body, parts of the body
• Context, Wishes
• Understanding of one’s own weight; Dynamics and coordination; Sharing of weight and turns with the partner
• Pressure and Traction; Touch and conduction
• Falls and Flipping; Fluidity of movement
• Improvisation and instantaneous composition
The class is divided into parts:
1. Warm-up: Exercises on the floor in which the student begins a process of self-recognition and organisation of the body, establishing in that manner a relation between concentration, breathing and coordination.
2. Corporal structure: Combining Modern techniques with Classical Dance and Capoeira movements. Using different dynamics and levels (high, medium and low), going into the space and searching for support for the body in the physical movement beyond the structure of the individual rhythmic behaviour.
3. Interaction and spatial distribution: The students will develop, through improvisation of pre-defined rules of an individual and collective game, the cognitive capacity and the interaction with other students, both in encountering the use of prior knowledge (formal-techniques, innovation-creativity, communicative-expressive), as well in the discovery of new possibilities of spatial movement.
ARTISTBIO: Fernando Machado
At the moment, he is the artistic coordinator of the City Ballet of São Paulo, under the direction of Ismael Ivo. At 2017/16/15 he was the artistic advisor of the programme of dance qualification – Project Ademar Guerra of the Secretary of the State of Culture from 2015 to 2017 and part of the faculty at the Dancing School of São Paulo – EDASP, of Projeto Luz, Industry of Culture as well as the programme of vocational dancing as teacher of contemporary dance between 2014 to 2016.
He used to dance and choreograph for Diadema Dance Co between 1997 and 2008, DRUW Company (2008 to 2009), WATT’S Dance Company (1995) and RAÇA Dance Company (1992-1994).
From 2006 to 2010, he also worked as the artistic director for Stacattospciadança. He was the director’s assistant of the Ballet of the City of São Paulo from 2011 to 2013. As a choreographer and researcher of a very particular body identity, he coordinated, in 2010, the project "An entire ocean to swim... and dance" inside the program Dancing Development of SP, improving his linguistic research with Stacattospciadança. In 2002, he founded Fragmento Company and created several performances, such as Quixotes do Amanhã (2007) for the Company of Dancing of Diadema, for which he won the prize Funarte Petrobrás.
In 2010, he participated in the project Arsenale della Danza – Bienal de Venezia as a teacher of contemporary dance. He has also taught contemporary dance lessons with a focus on the investigation of choreography, Contact Improvisation, improvisation for Brazilian companies and won several prizes for his choreographies.
GOOD TO KNOW
Performance catalogue available for download
65 Productions in one small booklet:
All pieces and extras can be found here in the performance catalogue as a DOWNLOAD